Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Homeless Man With “Golden Voice” Offered Job With The Cavs

Homeless Man With “Golden Voice” Offered Job With The Cavs

An ex-radio announcer who had fallen on hard times was given another opportunity earlier this week, when he was contacted by the Cleveland Cavaliers.  A few weeks ago, Ted Williams stood homeless by a Columbus Ohio Highway sign and demonstrated his smooth baritone voice in exchange for change so that he could have money to eat.
That all changed when a Columbus Dispatch reporter uploaded a video of Ted to youtube which has gained over 4 million views (in 2 days).  He was then invited to the studios of WNCI, contacted by ESPN and MTV and offered 10,000 bucks to do voiceover work at a Pennsylvania radio station.
While doing a radio interview for WNCI, a rep for the Cleveland Cavaliers called in and offered him a full time job doing voiceover work.  They have also offered him mortgage on a home.
Check out his interview with The Early Show below. He became very emotional and almost to tears, while talking about visiting his mother who is 92 and her being able to live to see him bounce back. He states he only wished he could have done this while his father was still living as well. 




Here is the notes that was included under the youtube video:
Throwing this video from the Columbus Dispatch out there, hoping we can find this talent a place to call home.
UPDATE-1: Many thanks go out to all of you who have been tossing phone numbers and e-mails my way for Ted’s sake. I went up to Hudson/I-71 (Columbus) today, but Ted wasn’t there. He is going to be on air tomorrow morning on radio station WNCI. I’ve left my contact info w/WNCI to call/e-mail me on a way to get your enormous opportunities over to him.
I’m going to give him a Trac phone (w/ample minutes) so that he can return calls to all of you.
Hopefully, in some way I’ll get in contact w/him. Peace.
UPDATE-2: To all those who have been writing me (as one of Ted’s only means of contact), I have learned that the radio station interviewing him tomorrow (1-5-11) a.m. is going to make him a formal offer. Whether true or not, we’ll see.
Hope it works out well for him. That was the whole point of me posting this video. I cannot thank enough everyone who was willing to do their part in offering Ted their helping hand.
Whoever lands him is certainly getting much more than a memorable personality; they’re getting a great human being as part of their team.
My best to all.
UPDATE-FINAL: Well everyone. You can give yourselves and Ted a high-five. He’s being given offers hand-over-fist over the air. He’ll be set for life.
My request to all. Whenever you run across a story such as this, don’t assume it’ll take a life of its own, on its own. It won’t. It can’t. There are too many other stories that drown out the one before it.
You need to spend time to get that story and its word out to many. If you care, you’ll do it.
Keep the faith, pay forward and always lend a hand; even if you’re the one who needs it.
God bless Mr. Williams. I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of him for sometime to come.
This story literally brought tears to my eyes. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things I Love on Fashiolista!!!


Disclaimer:_____________________I do not own any rights to any images on HoneyBEE Billi unless stated so. Most images are derived from google image search and the sites it leads me to. Seek permission for images that belong to me before use.