Saturday, March 26, 2011

Color Blocking 101: What & How

Color is the building block of style this spring, literally. The color blocking craze mixes large swaths of color for an effect that is both stylish and statement-making. Since it's the hottest trend for Spring, I found a great article that explains the "what's and how's" of color blocking perfectly! 

Send me pics of your color blocking interpretations and I'll post them in the blog. Email them to billijodesigns@yahoo.com! 

Enjoy! 

Color Blocking 101: What & How

Alright ladies, so I’ve mentioned the term “color blocking” a few times on my blog and got a few requests for more details.  Here’s my little rundown of how to color block.  I’ll spare you all the dry history behind it and cut to the chase.

Color blocking is just that, wearing blocks of colors.  For the most part this is what we do anyways when we dress, but Spring 11 “color blocking” is an exaggerated version.  To get the color blocking look you want to go for bright and bold colors.  There are some rules to follow, however, and here they are:

LOUDER THE BETTER: If there’s never been a better time to wear loud pops of color, it’s now.  Take advantage of the opportunity to be loud for no reason and still be fabulous.

CLASHY ATTIRE ONLY:  Don’t be afraid to clash. We’re so used to the same coordinating colors but try pink and red.  Try navy and black.  If you’re hesitant, you can always stick to the old faithful complementary color wheel (see below).  That thing is fail proof.

K.I.S.S.:  Keep It Simple Sister!  This look will look best with neutral accessories.  Grey is the new neutral tone.  Grey belts, shoes, accessories will compliment your outfit nicely.

THREE’S THE CHARM: Stick to 2 or 3 colors max.  Anymore than that and you’re borderline rubik’s cube.  No bueno.  I’d go for 3.  It makes for a more interesting outfit.

If you’ve never used a color wheel before, don’t worry.  All you need to know is how to draw a line straight through the middle of the wheel from one side to the other.  This is how you identify which colors traditionally compliment each other.

So, for example, you decide that today’s the perfect day to get your color block on.  You have a the perfect pair of red (C)skinny jeans and you’re not sure what top to wear.  If you have a blue (F#) top…yes denim counts as blue…you’re in luck and this is the easy way to accomplish a color blocking look.  Throw on a some grey accessories…jacket, shoes, hardware, and you’re good to go.

Below are a few examples of very exaggerated color blocking for your enjoyment.

See, I promised it would be short and sweet.  Here are some of my color blocking experiments, hereherehere and here.  I’d love to see what you come up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things I Love on Fashiolista!!!


Disclaimer:_____________________I do not own any rights to any images on HoneyBEE Billi unless stated so. Most images are derived from google image search and the sites it leads me to. Seek permission for images that belong to me before use.